Dental Sedation: You Can Relax While in Our Care
If you’re nervous about the dentist, you’ve got nothing to worry about with our various dental sedation options at Watterson Family Dentistry in Jackson, MI. Given Dr. Watterson’s:
- Helping Patients Through Dental Sedation Read Transcript
Sedation is a wonderful way to have dentistry done whether it's someone that has great fear of dentistry or if it's someone that just has a mild level of anxiety. It also can be for the person that has some extensive treatment that they just don't want to be feeling like they've been in the chair for a long time. Sedation is a wonderful thing. It can be anything from the traditional laughing gas, the (inaudible), that most people are familiar with from when they were a kid. More effectively though, and some of the sedation that I do most often, is called conscious sedation. That allows people to relax considerably. Oftentimes, people doze in and out of naps. We constantly monitor people and keep them safe, making sure that they're alert and responding to us. The wonderful thing with that is that there's very little, if any, memory at all about what you're experiencing and anything about your dental visit.
- Years of experience
- Caring team
- Use of cutting-edge dental technologies
- Pursuit of continuing education to learn the latest dental techniques
Still, despite all that, you might feel anxious about your dental procedures. If you do, our dental sedation options offers a great way to relax. We provide a choice of two types, inhaled sedation or oral sedation, one of which will be right for you.
To find out more about our anxiety-free dentistry, call Watterson Family Dentistry at 517-888-0021.
Forget Your Fears With Anxiety-Free Dentistry
Sedation offers many benefits for anxiety-free dentistry.
- If you’ve experienced past difficulty getting numb or just don’t like needles, it will take the edge off while we administer local anesthesia.
- If you dislike the noises, smells, and tastes associated with dental care, sedation will make you less aware.
- Sedation will keep you relaxed so we can complete lengthy procedures.
- If you’ve got a sensitive gag reflex, it will keep you from gagging.
- If your teeth are sensitive, it will dull that sensitivity.
Using Inhaled Sedation to Relax You
Inhaled sedation is one of your two options for anxiety-free dentistry at Watterson Family Dentistry. You receive it through an unobtrusive mask you wear over your nose. Most people feel a sense of mild euphoria.
Among its advantages:
- It is so safe, we can even give it to children.
- It is easy for us to increase or decrease the amount you receive during your procedure.
- You’ll return to feeling like yourself within minutes after your procedure. You’ll even be able to drive yourself home.
Soothing Through Oral Sedation Too
We can also give you oral sedation in the form of a prescription medication. Our dentist, Dr. Watterson, is certified through the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation (DOCS) to administer oral sedation. In fact, we’re the only dental practice in Jackson, MI to offer this type of sedation.
We use only medications with long records of safety and minimal side effects. You’ll need to arrange for transportation to and from our office, as you won’t be able to drive for some time after your treatment.
Oral sedation’s advantages include:
- It offers a deeper level of relaxation than inhaled sedation.
- You take the pill at home before coming to our office for your procedure. So you’ll arrive already relaxed.
Enjoy the “Watterson Shake,” Other Comforts
Dr. Watterson uses a technique we call the “Watterson Shake” to gently distract patients while administering local anesthesia. The rest of our team is similarly skilled. Our patients often tell us, “I didn’t feel a thing!” In addition, we offer comfort amenities like:
- TVs and headphones for an added distraction during procedures
- Neck pillows and blankets to further relax you
For a stress-free dental visit with our dental sedation options, call Watterson Family Dentistry at 517-888-0021. Or use our online form to book an appointment with Dr. Watterson at our Jackson, MI dentist office.